Monday 1 January 2007

Einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr!

For those of you wondering, that's a phrase my grandpa taught me just yesterday. It literally means "a good slide into the new year" or in other words "happy new year" (note: to be said before midnight).

Many people have made inspiring 'highlights of 2006' type posts. My memory is a little hazy, perhaps because it's been such a whirlwind year, but let's give it a go (with a lot of memory jogging from Sammy!)...

January
* My final Warrnambool SUFM, Champion City.
* Rediscovered the relaxation of reading novels.

February
* Short listed for an exchange scholarship to study in America (didn't make it past the interview).
* O-Week leader - not as much fun as you'd think.

March
* Found out that science was also not as much fun as you'd think with the School Based Program.
* Met some interesting lecturers, learnt and forgot some strange theories.
* Spent heaps more time with the wonderful Sammy!

April
* Um... Probably lots of homework.

May
* Turned the big 2-0. My friends threw me a sweet 'surprise' party. :)
* Worst ever practicum at Marong. Learnt what not to do.

June
* Exams - the dumbest multiple choice ever.
* Went on a hot double date with Sammy and Hamish (something nearly burnt down).

July
* Spent a week making a pirate video.
* Heard Sammy go on and on about Xanado for ages! :P
* The banana crisis struck.
* The Numa Numa song!!! O-Zone's Dragostea Din Tei - groovy stuff.

August
* The big 2-0 for the magnificent Stoz and the beautiful Cara.
* Mansfield camp - very cold.
* Started the best prac ever at Spring Gully.

September
* Prac continued.
* Had a brief week's respite from classes, which I spent starting and finishing my major SOSE assignment on water management.

October
* Stoz and I celebrated our four years 'anniversary' (well, we would have if he hadn't been sick).
* Things were crazy at the end of semester. The saying "when October ends" came about.
* Did my entire art folio at the last minute. Well, everything this year was pretty much at the last minute...

November
* Two exams (two more than most education students).
* Totally crammed German and still pulled a HD!
* Bethlehem Village in Explorers was tiring but awesome.
* Had a brief over-night holiday in Melbourne.
* The big 2-0 for Sammy.
* Sliced my finger open on a ring-pull can.
* Went to a trivia night at Flora Hill Secondary College and hung with the L337 Krew.

December
* Went to see a doctor that took over a month to get an appointment.
* Had a Princess Party.
* Bought a Christmas tree (kinda).
* Hung out with the Seniors (not really).
* Received the Odyssey and Explorers Leader of the Year awards (wow).
* Went to see a physiotherapist.
* Lost my grandma.
* Went to a green-themed New Years party.

Well, that wore me out! For now, I'll leave you with my quote of the week:
If you speak three languages, you are trilingual.
If you speak two languages, you are bilingual.
If you speak one language, you are English.

9 comments:

Stoz said...

I hate to say it, but I'm pretty much just English. That's a really good best of list though. I'm still curious as to where April vanished to though.

Achi Myachi said...

I laughed so hard throughout that post. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Good times...

And you forgot in December we dyed our hair!

And I was told that even if I could only say 'bonjour' in french I was considered bilingual.

So lets think about this, I speak:
% English
% Indonesian
% Malay (yeah I'm such a cheater!)
% German (gutentag flagon wagon.. that means hello ambulance! haha)
% French (bonjour!)
% Fijian (sega na lega = no worries)
% African something (sia hummin nungkun nen yen kos (I have no idea how to spell it!) = we are marching in the light of God)
... and various others I'm sure

so at the moment that stands at 7.. So what-lingual is that!?

Christop said...

What are you if you know little bits of lots of different languages?

Achi Myachi said...

You're still bilingual. I learnt that while on prac, that even if I could just say bonjour in french I was considered 'bilingual'

Trav said...

In December you also won rookie blog of the year.

Stoz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steff said...

I don't even consider myself truly trilingual though, because I'm only fluent in English.

I'm thinking I'll learn French next. What do you think?

Achi Myachi said...

I think that YOU would do well in french. I always wanted to do it but would suck, I can hardly keep up with my indo.

Christop said...

I was considering doing some language classes this year to learn something properly (EcoPaul suggests I take English lessons), but now I'm thinking of maybe actually going back to uni...