Monday 30 July 2007

Welcome to Second Life

It seems I've joined Second Life. Our introductory lecture for Practicum C today involved the lecturer telling us about how exciting this new 'blended learning' experience was going to be. The most 'exciting' part was the online learning component, where face-to-face learning has been replaced by involvement in a 'virtual world'. In this virtual world, we go on a kind of treasure hunt to collect marks. The lecturer can check up on us and see what we are up to there. In fact, she says, if we wish to speak to her, it will probably be easier to catch up with her in this virtual world rather than calling by the office - we'll be sure to 'see' her around there often.

This isn't really Second Life, or any real virtual world at all; it is merely WebCT. Although the lecturer's excitement and enthusiasm makes it easy to pretend it is such (and wouldn't that be fun!), after many years of distance education I'm all too familiar with online learning.

Maybe I should suggest getting avatars?

4 comments:

Stoz said...

Man a treasurehunt for marks! That sounds great. Perhaps I should quit my job and go back to school so I can play 'learning treasure hunts' all day :-D.

On the other hand, I've heard horrible things about WebCT ;-).

Cara said...

i don't like webCT it is one of the most annoying parts about uni. although the 'treasure hunt for marks' does make it sound like much more fun (more than it really is).

Achi Myachi said...

What, do we have to do second life too?

Steff said...

No, I was saying the way the lecturer was hyping up the webct component of our course, she made it sound like something from Second Life. It must be the generational gap :P I must give her credit though, her enthusiasm is inspiring.