Wednesday 10 October 2007

"We're going on an adventure!"

A cooking adventure, that is. It goes a little something like this.

It all began with a trip to Keck Street to pick up an over-sized rice cooker and bags of rice, carrots and onions. Back at Neale Street, we proceeded to overcook the first batch - about 13 cups - of rice. The next lot was much better. Then began the tedious peeling of the vegetables, followed by the mammoth clean up.

Some things we have learnt from this adventure:
* A V-slicer is a useful kitchen tool.
* A well-ventilated room, a nearby burning candle, or chilled onions are not successful theories for preventing stinging eyes when dicing onions.
* Goggles work well when dicing onions.

3 comments:

Achi Myachi said...

an adventure all right :|

Cara said...

what on earth was all that for???

Stoz said...

I'd always been told by several people that goggles do nothing to help with onions. My first time I cut up onions was surprisingly fine, but the next time when I was instead chopping shallots, I couldn't keep from bawling my eyes out.