Wednesday 1 October 2008

Is there anybody out there?

It's getting really lonely here. I'm beginning to think the blogosphere has been conquered by the mighty Facebook. People who previously couldn't hold down a blog have mysteriously become prolific status-updaters and wall-commenters. I, still rather lacking in Facebook skills, sit here faithfully constructing a more sophisticated and somewhat antiquated kind of prose... all alone.

I'm lead to believe one of two conclusions:
1) nobody reads my blog anymore because blogging is so old-fashioned, or
2) nobody reads my blog anymore because my content is so boring.

So, just in case it is the latter, I am giving you, my dear faithful readers, the chance to let me know how boring I've been and give me some suggestions for improvement! Please check out my new poll on the sidebar.

And if I get no responses, I know it's time to learn to use Facebook...

7 comments:

switch said...

I'm always around - I subscribe to your RSS feed and almost always find your content interesting - even if I don't often comment. I always try and keep up to date with everyone's blogs.

I've been a bit quiet on the blogging front, too - and I should really start getting back into it (particularly now that more exciting things are starting to happen!!).

And while facebook is good - it's really not quite the same as reading a blog - writing on walls, and status updates only go so far before it's spamming - plus filtering all that is hard even when you only have a few friends - I'd hate to think what it's like for those that have 300+ 'friends'

Anyway, that's enough from me for now - I'll try and start blogging again shortly.....I hope.

Susan Barnes said...

Im always around too. Though I understand that it seems like Facebook is taking over and while it is nice to keep in touch with people through Facebook, you don't get anything like a deep conversation which does sometimes happen on a blog.

Have you thought about getting a statcounter? Then you would really know how many people come by here.

Steff said...

I think someone's suggested a stat counter before... but wouldn't it just count up all the times I visit my own blog to check if someone has commented? ;)

How do I use these RSS thingys? I'd like to have those for all my friends' blogs - sounds like a great idea! Can I do one for comments on my blog too?

Thanks for your comments and votes guys :)

switch said...

Steff, most web browsers have built in RSS readers - to start a feed, just click on the 'Subscribe To' link on a blog.

If you can't find that link - some browsers put a little icon in the address bar - clicking that will have the same effect.

If you have trouble with any of it - I'm sure if you ask Stoz nicely, he might be able to set you up ;) ;).

Susan Barnes said...

With a stat counter you can block your own visits. I got mine from www.statcounter.com

Also you tell blogger to send you an email anytime anyone commens. It is in the comments tag in the settings.

Steff said...

Wow, really showing my novice blogging skills here, aren't I? ;)

Susan Barnes said...

If you are interested in having some new people come by your blog you might want to think about subscribing to a synchroblog. Click here for details. The next one is on the 4th November and the topic is: Leadership.