Friday 2 February 2007

The Land Beyond Time

Working title: Of Teachers and Nurses

Today I had surgery - scary! As you might have guessed by the title (and alternate title), there's two major parts to my story. Firstly, the time thing. I went in at 1, and came out just after 4... For a ten minute procedure. I spent most of my time sitting around, alone and waiting, with no clocks to be seen and no watch. It's kind of strange being unaware of the time - I'm normally lost without a watch. Time feels all distorted when you can't track its passing. Eventually, they offered to fetch me a trashy mag to read, which I declined. Boredom is for those who lack imagination! However, after I was given the anaesthetic (major ouch!) I succumbed, and read all about Prince William and his girlfriend of five years - how sweet.

Now, of teachers and nurses... I remember starting uni, particularly prac, and being so shocked to realise how little teachers actually knew! I figured teachers had to at least understand the topics they were teaching (me teaching hockey certainly killed that idea). Another much-trusted profession is nursing - you want them to know what they're doing. I've heard a few stories that rock the boat. Anyway, the nurse was talking about a lesion on my leg (it was on my back). Now I'm thinking, am I going to have both legs when I get out of here?! Thankfully, the theatre nurse at least knew what part of me was being operated on. But before we got there, I was sent to the regular surgery unit, not the day procedure unit (which was under renovations). Upon realising I was not on their list, and so was not requiring an anaesthetist, I was marched back down to the day procedure area, where the banging of the work men's tools could be heard. After the procedure (which was a horrible experience) the nurse (a new one) forgot to photocopy my details and book my appointment. And all up, I had my pulse monitored, was weighed once, had my blood pressure checked twice (with the suggestion of a third time), and had my dressing checked at least three times. It makes you wonder some days.

At least you can't fault their hospitality; I had at least seven people attend to me throughout my stay (plus the doctor), they fetched me a mag, and they continually offered me tea, coffee or juice.

No comments: