Monday 25 June 2007

Examen

Exams are finally over and the end of the semester has come (well, almost for the secondary and primary students!). At this point, I'm thinking about a different kind of 'exam' word. Examen is a word of Latin origin, meaning a critical investigation or inspection of something, and in a religious sense, a daily reflection on our walk with God. I'd like to encourage all of us, amid our relaxation and refreshing, to reflect on the half-year that's been.

What is the thing I am most thankful for this past half-year?
This reminds us to be grateful. The support of close friends and family has been much appreciated this extra-busy semester.

What is the best thing that happened to me this past half-year?
This reminds us to look at the positives. My 21st birthday was great, made special by all my friends and family. Exciting opportunities also became available.

What was the best thing I did for someone else this past half-year?
This isn't boasting about our great deeds, but perhaps a gentle reminder to make sure we are seeking others' needs above our own. I did a few things, but I want to do so much more.

What did I do well this past half-year?
This reminds us to see the growth and achievement in our lives. I survived this past semester! I managed to hand in all my work on time.

What did I do not-so-well this past half-year?
This is not beating ourselves up; it is identifying our struggles. Things were often out of balance a bit for me, and some areas of my life didn't get the attention they deserved.

Did I develop any bad habits this past half-year?
This reminds us to develop good habits and be on the look out for bad ones. I developed bad habits of time-wasting and neglecting important things, like my health routine.

What do I need to change in the next half-year?
This reminds us to set goals. I need to work harder at implementing my home-physio program, I need to have greater motivation, and I need to work at the delicate balance between social, personal and work time.

No comments: