Tuesday 11 September 2007

Drugged up

Another update on my trip - man, things are going so fast!

After getting a passport, booking my flights and selling my fundraising chocolates, it was time to get my jabs and scripts for various other travelling pills. I went to see my doctor on Friday to make an appointment to have them, since I didn't think he'd have that kind of thing just laying around in his fridge waiting for randoms to show up saying they want to head overseas. However, I was mistaken; they must be pretty common among the nursing students too, and the campus nurse prepared them while I waited - eek!

Anyone who knows me knows I'm terrified of needles (although more so the intravenous ones, not so bad about the flesh ones anymore). But I must say I was very brave while I endured shots of typhoid and hepatitus A + hepatitus B. As an interesting side note, since I had already had my three hepB boosters, I am now "super immune" and all drugged up!

5 comments:

kat kat said...

hey Steff!! i just realised u have a blog! (uh yea im a bit slow lol) how ru? wow i didn't know u were going to indonesia - how exciting! is that with uni?
well ive got my 2 week holiday these coming two weeks, so i was wondering if u were free at all to catch up? just email me or something when ur free if u like :) miss u!
God bless!
luv kat

Steff said...

hey awesome! Thanks for stopping past my blog. Yup - you can read all the details of my trip in the post before (as I've sure you have)! We have holidays the first week of the school holidays, so would definitely love to catch up.

Stoz said...

Do you know why they made you get hep b even when you've had all 3 boosters? If 3 boosters aren't good enough, why don't they give us all an extra hep b?

Not that it was fun or anything, I never liked needles but always used to just look away and bare it (I still remember the kids in school daring each other to look while it went in)

Steff said...

It's because we all had HepB so long ago. Like tetanus shots, it doesn't last forever. The nursing students at LaTrobe have to have certain levels of immunity for various things before they can go on their placements, and they screen them. They're finding that the students about our age have fairly week immunity to HepB now, so they're doing them again. It didn't hurt me to get another booster (well, two!), and it means I'll never need another one in my lifetime. I wouldn't have gone out and got it extra though, except it was combined with the HepA.

Daily Life said...

Great work buddy, keep it up cleveland county health department food handlers permit