Saturday 19 May 2007

Planeteers, the power is yours!

A post from a blogger whom I've never even met before inspired me to write about some feelings I've been slowly processing over a very long time. These feelings are issues that have been gradually brought to my attention mostly because they were problems in my own life that were hindering me from my potential, and they were unhealthy. The more I grew, the more I saw how these parts of my attitude were a problem and that I should change the way I was thinking. I wish I was writing this in the past tense, but the truth is I still struggle with this almost everyday, and I think that they are problems that plague most members of western society from time to time, maybe even further than that. It's my hope that by defining these problems I can remind myself to move past them, and maybe even help others to see how they can move forward too if they struggle like I do.

I've heard a bit lately from various different people from all different friendship groups and all different scenarios and relationships that echos these attitude problems I see in myself, which makes me think the problem is bigger than just me. Often we get hung up about how we relate to others, or how other people relate with one another around us. To be bluntly honest, I am well and truly sick of feeling this way, and I want to change!

My first major problem is the issue of boxing. We are all for 'unity' and 'respect for people of all walks of life' and 'inclusion' and 'supporting one another' and all sorts of nice, warm, fuzzy phrases like that. But in the very next breath, we say words like 'my type' or 'those people' and proceed to place ourselves in a box apart from the rest of the societal group in question. After we have placed ourselves in our nice little box, we continue to complain about how everyone else outside of our box has put us in this box, doesn't understand us, has isolated us, and is generally so much poorer off for not being in the same box with us. Kinda silly, isn't it? The problem in question here is not so much that people put us into boxes (which is detrimental enough to unity as it is), but that we are putting OURSELVES into boxes, and isolating ourselves from others by our own choice. I don't rant as someone free from this tendency; I've put myself in the 'uncool and friendless' box for too many years to count, before realising it was not the people around me who considered me that way, but my own self-perception. People, "we" are different from "them" only because WE have decided to make ourselves so.

In the process of packing up our lives into the neat little system of self-defining boxes, we often place our self-determination on the shelf to get dusty. When we're saying, "They make me feel left out" or "They make me feel worthless" or "They make me feel [insert other non-unifying negative feeling here]", this is the kind of mistake we are making. Yes, stuff happens in life. Yes, we will feel good and bad and in between. Yes, people don't always know how what they do makes us feel. But ALWAYS, we are in control of how we will respond and how we will feel once the initial shock is over. We choose whether we are going to feel like an alien, like an odd-ball, like a hero, like a saint. I don't like hearing people complaining about how others (even the church!) are making them feel or act, when the responsibility for our feelings and behaviour lies solely with us. And I'm guilty as charged! How many times have we been 'made to feel' second-rate and unwanted, when really people are wondering why we never make contact anymore? How many times have well-meaning people said or done something for us, only to be slandered as controlling or rude, when the real problem was we chose to see their actions as terrible, not well-meaning? We choose how we feel in response to any situation.

As Captain Planet would say, "The power is yours!" We are the ones who put ourselves into isolating boxes by declaring how different we are to other people, and putting ourselves into exclusive little groups. We are the ones who decide how we will feel, even if we're tempted to blame it on other peoples' imagined lack of consideration. We are the ones who determine how close we are to the people around us, even if we're tempted to say that it's them who are drifting away. People, we all need to wake up and take responsibility for our feelings and our relationships if we want them to be healthy! That's the choice I'm going to make.

7 comments:

Achi Myachi said...

Isn't it funny how you wrote this just after I wrote something sort of on the same topic?

Although I agree that its our behaviour on how to react to these situations, I think you need to understand that this is all very much so easier said than done.

How about we go back in time.. half an hour back in time. Back to the olden days of South Australia (ok ok, so technically I was in victoria at high school but daily switching time zones nonetheless). I had never fitted in. And when I go back there I still don't. And let me tell you, it was not 'all in my head'. People genuinely hated me, because of the way I lived my life. I wouldn't drink, swear or anything like this. Because of this I was never invited to parties (out of the 20 in my grade, I was the only one not invited) because this is what was culturally acceptable over there. I wanted to fit in, but couldn't without conforming. Because I loved God I chose not to conform. I was very alone. I never really had a close friend. And while you think I'm making this up, just remember that Pinnaroo is a very different town to Bendigo. There arent people there, there arent escapes.

The point I'm trying to make is, I was in a box, I had put myself there, and people put me there. I am different and I like it that way, because God didn't make us all to be the same, and in Jeremiah he says that he set us apart. There's difference, and then there's unity. There needs to be unity in diversity: a BODY of many DIFFERENT parts. And let me tell you, my knee is very different to my brain (although some would argue)

Time goes on and now I live in Bendigo. Things aren't as extreme as what they were in Pinnaroo. I have friends to turn to of all different walks of life, and I have numerous 'escapes'. I am constantly learning, and it's great. I have a support network bigger than Pinnaroo, and I never thought that I'd ever have friends like this.

But life in Bendigo still does have its ups and downs. Church is very sociable over here, and when you're not exactly the most social person, you can feel left out.

I used to fit in fine, and I was all good with that. But go and make some life choice and people question you, and treat you different. How do I know? Because I can compare and contrast the two times. My life seemingly changes every three days.

People are different, values are different. We're called to be different in a unifying way.

switch said...

Great blog Steff. Just wanted to let you know I agree with your point of view here.

And Sammy, no one has the right to dictate how you feel.

Sure, you might have actually been excluded from stuff - but you made the choice to feel excluded.

As I read your reply, the words from a song by Everyday Sunday came echoing back:

Here I am again by myself in this room
And I stare at the ceiling like the others
The door closed, the light out, the window open
The blinds shudder from the cold
Empty walls are all staring at me
While the faces in their frames look away
The rain kisses the screen and then shatters and falls
And there’s something familiar about that
I can’t get away from myself
And I’m wondering where you are now

[CHORUS]
Seems like everyone else has the someone they need
And there’s an odd number of people like me
But this can’t be because I believe in something better than love

Here I am again by myself in this room
There’s no other place I can surface
My insides want out while the outside wants in
And the mirror is my window to the world
Pictures of dreams are the words
That I finally found tonight
If I could show them to you
Would you recognize the scene?

I know that I may be lonely
But am I ever alone?


Every part of me feels it tonight
Alone to the tips of my fingers
But it all goes away when the sun comes up
So you’ll never see this...

Achi Myachi said...

"Sure, you might have actually been excluded from stuff - but you made the choice to feel excluded."

Do you realise that you've just contradicted yourself?

Achi Myachi said...

Ok, and I'm going to follow that up.

Sure, I may be discluded, but I'm not going to run around being a phony about it. If I'm upset then I have that right. It's called being real. And that's how God made me to be - a real, not a fake.

Thats like me eating a chocolate bar, pretending its a bowl of salad: I'm decieving myself, and like with emotions, it's not healthy.

But I am not content to stay in the one place and run around in the same circle: I need progression in my life.

You can see in like the psalms and stuff that David felt upset, and he didn't hide it!

switch said...

I never contradicted myself.

You can be excluded, and feel excluded

OR

You can be excluded and decide to not let it affect you like -you don't care, thus, you are no longer 'excluded' - rather excluded by choice. If that makes sense.

I'm not saying you need to be fake about it either. You just need to realise the gravity of the situation.

Like, there's no point in gonig around saying how bad something makes you feel, or how terrible someone is and then have no corresponding actions. That's pretty useless - and also pretty dangerous.

To be honest, we can play with our emotions. We can control how we feel. Although, as even Steff mentioned - it's after the initial shock.

Lets say, you go to an event - you're excluded from a conversation you feel strongly about, and not matter how hard to try to add something, you always get cut off.

At that moment - there's nothing wrong with feeling angry, or upset. It's how you live after that.

I mean, someone excluding you from something a few years back doesn't need to have any bearing on your emotions today.

My post was trying to say - don't dwell on stuff that's just going to eat at you.

Don't pretend that you don't feel anything either though - just get over it.

People don't make you feel anything. You make you feel things.

I've heard people say things like 'couples make me feel inferior' or other such nonsense - it's not really true. You're choosing how to feel when you are around them, rather than ignoring it and coming to the realistaion that it *really* doesn't matter - cause there is something bigger than all that.

Steff said...

Some clarification and further comment...

I don't think we really posted about the same thing, Sammy. Both posts deal with relationships, but that's a very broad topic! ;-) You were talking about singlehood, I'm talking more about attitudes, which can apply in all sorts of relationships, not just romantic ones.

Regarding unity versus conformity: I was never advocating conformity for unity. Sammy, You're totally right when you say God made us a diverse unity, made up of many different parts. But when God called us to be 'set apart', He meant set apart from the world and its God-dishonouring practices, not set apart from each other. The family of believers should be just that - one family - not groups of seniors versus young adults, newly-weds versus singles, teens versus kids, churchies versus new believers, etc. I think we all fall into the trap of putting ourselves into little groups like this (which is partly the natural way our brain organises data, and partly narrow thinking).

Tim, I really like your comments! The song is really fitting for what I'm trying to say - thank you. Your comment summed it up nicely: "Sure, you might have actually been excluded [passive verb] from stuff - but you made the choice to feel excluded [adjective]." I believe that emotions are trained behaviour, relying on our perspective of what a 'bad' situation is. The obvious example of this is people who get irrationally upset over trivial matters; they have trained themselves to see small problems as big, upsetting issues. We need to untrain that sort of behaviour, and train ourselves to respond to situations in a better way. We may be in a situation we cant's change, eg. where we have been excluded by other people. But we have the choice how we will FEEL: excluded, victimised, and worthless or accepting, confident in our self, and determined to make the best of it. I'll admit this is hard stuff, and I stuff it up all the time.

It's not about being someone that you're not, and it's not about denying our feelings. God gave us emotions to feel them. It's not about deceiving ourselves, but about becoming more Christlike. David's psalms are the perfect example, thanks for sharing, Sammy! If you read the psalms carefully, you'll see that David (and other writers) often open with words of anguish, lament or anger; they're being real by acknowleding their initial feelings to God. But they always have their perspective put back on track by looking to God, not their problems, and end the psalm by giving joyous praise to God. This is how we should be: acknowledging the way life has lead us to feel initially, but having our perspective changed by God's glory and grace, and ending up with the joy and peace of God in our lives, despite all circumstances. I think a lot of us get stuck in that 'acknowleding' phase, and we dwell there. Like Sammy said, we need progression, which comes when we realise we can choose how we will feel in response to life.

As a side note, I think one of the barriers that can make it hard for us to move past the 'acknowleding and dwelling' stage is when we feel as if we don't have our feelings validated by other people. It can be hard for people to understand the sorts of feelings and attitudes that have developed through major life events when they haven't experienced those things for themselves. I know I myself have lead a very sheltered life, so I feel extremely inadequate to help when people share their problems with me. I guess the first step is to realise that it's perfectly ok to be feeling those things, that strong emotions are healthy and normal. Then we'll be able to ask for God's help to change our perspective and help us to choose how we will respond to life's circumstances.

All this is just my opinion, how I want to change my life. I guess everybody will see it differently, and that's ok.

Achi Myachi said...

Now I'm just confused